[ntp:questions] ntpd: time reset problem

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Thu Sep 24 10:11:44 UTC 2009

James Browning wrote:
> On Sep 17, 10:52 pm, "David J Taylor" <david-tay... at blueyonder.not-
> this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> Don't worry about trees - a modern GPS such as the GPS 18x LVC is very
>> sensitive, and can work with a lot of obscuration.  Although my GPS 18 LVC
>> is sitting on the roof, the GPS 18x LVC works just as well sitting in a
>> room on the top floor of the house.
>
> I have a SiRF star III based USB dongle (US GlobalSat BU-353)</plug>
> that I got a location off of in a basement room about 6 feet from the
> window. currently it's attached to box whos' ntpd crashes every time
> mention it. I think it's talking in the binary mode and the kernel
> device
> is tuck at the wrong speed. (I probably just need to restart it.)

You can check with minicom or similar as to output. I used
Telix from DOS with my BR304 to set to just give a single
RMC sentence per second output. The codes needed to switch
modes were in the br304 manual I downloaded.

Having said that the br304 is now in pieces to be explored
with scope probe in case it's possible to locate any signal
usable for ntp. Best I had was +/- 0.5 sec but it is much
less sensitive than the Garmin GPS18x-LVC that early in year
maintained an offset within 4us (that's until sats in view
reduced by tree growth so it became unusable).

<http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/InexpensiveOemGps#Globalsat_BR_355_BU_353_and_othe>

David