[ntp:questions] NTP client sincronization

DT DT dt.techno99 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:20:53 UTC 2009

Hello,

I request your help in case somebody knows or has experienced a problem like
this:
At the company where i work we have just implemented a NTP server, we have
a large amount of ntp clients (windows XP most of them). We are thinking of
an automated way to sinchronize them, we have been working on DHCP options
to try to send the NTP server address as well as the correct time zone
(UTC-6 & UTC-7).
We have tested on linux clients and they take the NTP server address but not
time zome; windows clients seem to ignore any NTP settings.

This are the options we have implemented to send NTP server settings and
timezone:

option pcode code 100 = text;

option tcode code 101 = text;

 option ntp-servers 10.0.78.61;

 option pcode "CST6CDT";

 option tcode "America/Mexico_City";

 option time-offset    -21600;

When trying to set the NTP server address on a windows client though command
line it seems the system recognizes the command but it does not keep the
settings.

net stop w32time

net time /setsntp:10.0.78.61

net start w32time