[ntp:questions] FreeBSD or Windows-7 - which to install first?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Sun Apr 4 10:54:12 UTC 2010

David J Taylor wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:j_-dnZcE1K2v6CrWnZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d at giganews.com...
> []
>> It has been something like eight years since I last did something like
>> this.  IIRC, I installed windows first and allocated ~1/2 the
>> available disk space to Windows.  I then installed Solaris 8.
>>
>> YMMV!
>
> "David Lord" <snews at lordynet.org> wrote in message
> news:81ppt7F7fnU1 at mid.individual.net...
> []
>> If installing both from scratch I'd put FreeBSD on first as I'm
>> assuming you're not having full Gnome or KDE desktops so install
>> should be quick. If Windows messes it up you haven't lost much.
>> Downside is you might need to reinstall/update FreeBSD to get
>> both systems bootable.
>>

>> David
>
> Richard, David,
>
> Thank you both for your comments and different suggestions!  I get the
> system next week so I'll let you know what I do and how I get on.  I may
> well try Windows-7 first, and get NTP working with the serial GPS/PPS
> reference as I've had more recent experience with that setup.  It might
> also highlight anything "nasty" in the Intel Atom BIOS like power-saving
> or unwanted clock frequency stepping.
>
> One awful thought I've had is whether I'll need to leave the keyboard
> plugged in to get the BIOS to boot!  I seem to recall tales of "Keyboard
> missing - press F1 to continue"!  <G>

You might need to format the drive first with intended partition
layout and types to avoid windows using all of it and then have
to resize the partition for second OS.

Usually the keyboard is needed for install from cd/dvd unless
from a disk image or serial console etc. After install the
keyboard check should be disabled in the bios setup otherwise
months later there is a period of head scratching working out
why it won't boot.

David