[ntp:questions] FreeBSD or Windows-7 - which to install first?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun Apr 4 11:06:28 UTC 2010

"David Lord" <> wrote in message news:81r9elFnlnU1 at mid.individual.net...
[]
> You might need to format the drive first with intended partition
> layout and types to avoid windows using all of it and then have
> to resize the partition for second OS.

Yes, I think Windows-7 allows that quite easily.  It's just a 60GB disk,
so I'm thinking 15GB FreeBSD and the rest for Windows-7.  I also have a
USB/2.5-inch box where I could do the formatting on a separate system if
needed.

> Usually the keyboard is needed for install from cd/dvd unless
> from a disk image or serial console etc. After install the
> keyboard check should be disabled in the bios setup otherwise
> months later there is a period of head scratching working out
> why it won't boot.

Yes, I'm planning for a keyboard and display during install and Telnet
access afterwards.  I checked the BIOS specification and fortunately it's
designed for headless operation:

  3.7.3 Booting Without Attached Devices

  For use in embedded applications, the BIOS has been designed so that
after passing
the POST, the operating system loader is invoked even if the following
devices are not
present:
. Video adapter
. Keyboard
. Mouse

Quite helpful!  Thanks for your comments, David.

Cheers,
David