[ntp:questions] Solaris x86_64 same/better/worse than Linux x86_64 for ntpd?

thyrsus s.schaefer.at.acm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 15:30:27 UTC 2010

In my experience, Solaris on Sparc keeps good time, Linux on x86_64 is
not as good though usually OK but sometimes wretched depending on the
hardware and other load.  So currently I've got a Solaris Sparc
machine allowed to do ntp through the firewall, and the rest are peers
at the next stratum.  Maintenance on the Sparc machine is getting
expensive, and I'm thinking about what to do next.  Since I've
recently had to support Solaris on x86 for other reasons, would I get
better time from that than from Linux on the same hardware?  Reports
of your experience will be appreciated.

    - Stephen P. Schaefer