[ntp:questions] Monitoring FreeBSD temperatures remotely

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Sun Apr 11 14:27:35 UTC 2010

On 2010-04-11, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> I'm trying to correlate the few microseconds NTP offset transient I get in
> the morning with the temperature of the system (and most likely with the
> rate of change of temperature).  There seems to be a triangulare-shaped
> ~7microsecond transient lasting for about an hour when the heating
> switches on:
>
>   http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_pixie.php

At the same time, the cpu switches off, network traffic disappears, etc.
Something weird is happening that does not seem to be temperature.

> Do any of the FreeBSD experts out there know if, and how, I might be able
> to get a temperature measurement of my FreeBSD 8.0 system via SNMP?

The intel motherboards use a weird system of sensor reporting, that the
lmsensors people had not figured out at least as of a year ago. I am
familiar with linux, but I suspect freebsd is the same.
mbmon, healthd are apparently freebsd systems for perhaps getting the
temp.