[ntp:questions] Monitoring FreeBSD temperatures remotely

Hal Murray hal-usenet at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net
Sun Apr 11 18:23:11 UTC 2010

>Do any of the FreeBSD experts out there know if, and how, I might be able
>to get a temperature measurement of my FreeBSD 8.0 system via SNMP?
>Ideally, motherboard temperature (Intel D410PT) but disk or CPU
>temperature would be a start.  I have discovered that the 2.5-inch disk it
>uses is SMART enabled and does report disk temperature, so tying that in
>with SNMP so that I can monitor remotely would be a start.....

You can (probably) get the disk temperture with something like:
  smartctl -a /dev/ad4
That will give you everything else too, so you will have to
write a script to extract the chunk of data you want.
(Something like grep for Temperature and awk to print the
column you want.)

I don't know how to get that to SNMP.