[ntp:questions] NTP errors are caused by single and multi-bit memory errors

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 12 18:27:38 UTC 2010

David J Taylor wrote:
> "Todd Glassey" <tglassey at glassey.com> wrote in message
> news:4BC31C47.1000606 at glassey.com...
> []
>> I want to know about non ECC memory based PC's running NTP and how many
>> NTP errors are caused by single and multi-bit memory errors.
>>
>> Todd
>
> I am not aware of any.  I rather imagine that memory errors in such a
> system would likely cause the system to halt, rather than affecting just
> NTP.
>
> I changed the topic title to be less general.
>
> Cheers,
> David

I think that the solution is to fix the hardware rather than try to
compensate for the effect of the errors.

Or maybe even to replace the whole machine.  Remember that NTP does not
require a "Super Computer"; any old refugee from the trash trucks can be
pressed into service as long as it still works.