[ntp:questions] Monitoring FreeBSD temperatures remotely

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Apr 12 19:19:21 UTC 2010

On Apr 12, 2010, at 11:51 AM, G8KBV wrote:
> In article <hpuekj$rcm$1 at news.eternal-september.org>, david-
> taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid says...
>>
>> It surprises me that, with FreeBSD being suggested as a good system
>> for servers, there isn't more ready-made SNMP about.
>>

> That's 'cos it's a bit of a nightmare to setup and configure for the non
> BSD types!  I'm in the middle of doing one now (to the instructions at:
> http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145)

Those look like instructions on how to wire up a GPS receiver with FreeBSD (plus bash and vim :), and less detailed about installing and using FreeBSD itself.

> It took a couple of days just to get FreeBSD V8.0 installed correctly in
> the first place.  One false move (hair trigger enter key) and it's
> "start over" time.  (OK, so there are probably ways to backtrack, but
> like many things, it's just not documented.)

Start with the fine manual here:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

> It does not appear dificult technicaly, and not that many steps to
> complete, but it takes an age for the system to search for, download the
> needed source modules, compile and build the needed app's etc.

None of this should be needed, since ntpd comes with the base system-- although learning up to update the system and install additional software is useful.  You might need to recompile the kernel alone to enable PPS_SYNC, perhaps.

> And as for that editor 'vim'  If you thought Notepad was bad......
> Some documentation as to how to use that is sorely needed!  It's about
> as counter intuitive as you can get, my opinion at least.  There has to
> be an easier to use text file editor that can be used?

ee?  pico?  emacs?

> Cheers.   I'd continue work on my FreeBSD box, I'm at the point of
> attempting to enable PPS support in the kernel, but (a) I want to find
> out how to make a recovery disk first, in case if it all goes greasy
> side up,

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-trouble.html
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backup-basics.html

Regards,