[ntp:questions] how to have offset < 1ms

Dave Baxter spam at goes.nowhere.com
Tue Apr 13 08:03:15 UTC 2010

In article <hq07jn$3st$1 at news.eternal-september.org>,
david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid says...

> lhommedumatch wrote:
>
> > It's connected on the lan board of our vessel.
>
> If you want to improve the accuracy, you need to fix your LAN; it is
> giving round trip times that are on the poor side of average for a
> modern WAN.

Can someone tell Demon about that, I regularly see round trip delays to
their NTP boxes of 1S or more!  Yes, ONE SECOND!  From a user on their
network by ADSL.   It's very much time-of day dependant, reasonable at
night, terrible duing the workday (weekends are not bad)

Conjestion, traffic shaping?  Who knows, Demon don't if you call them.

"NTP?  Is that like FTP?"  a responce from one of their "Techincal"
types when I asked a while back...   You could smell the curry cooking
in the background.

Wandering off toppic...

Dave B(G8KBV)