[ntp:questions] how to have offset < 1ms

Dave Baxter spam at goes.nowhere.com
Tue Apr 13 08:11:55 UTC 2010

In article <slrnhs78pu.kb3.unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>,
unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca says...

> On 2010-04-12, lhommedumatch <ludocluba at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm working on a oceanographic vessel
> > ntpgmtaceb is our reference clock that is synchronised with a gps at
> > the beginning of a cruise.
>
> Why not put a Garmin GPS 18  on board the ship and get gps time on the
> whole cruise?

I was going to ask that too.  For such an outfit, there are good "COTS"
GPS driven NTP servers just for that sort of application.   (Or you can
struggle like some of us to roll your own...)

There are WWV referenced boxes too (reception should be good with that
size salt water ground plane!) and no doubt a whole host of other
satllite derived things, so you are not tied to one potential point of
failure.  As well as any indipendant on-board Rubidium source?

There must be a valid reason for not going that sort of route, it'd be
enlightening to know why.

Unless "oceanographic vessel" is a euphamism for something that spends
much of it's time "out of sight of any satellites!"

Cheers.

Dave B(G8KBV)