[ntp:questions] how to have offset < 1ms

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Tue Apr 13 08:58:56 UTC 2010

Dave Baxter wrote:
> In article <hq07jn$3st$1 at news.eternal-september.org>,
> david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid says...
>> lhommedumatch wrote:
>>
>>> It's connected on the lan board of our vessel.
>> If you want to improve the accuracy, you need to fix your LAN; it is
>> giving round trip times that are on the poor side of average for a
>> modern WAN.
>
> Can someone tell Demon about that, I regularly see round trip delays to
> their NTP boxes of 1S or more!  Yes, ONE SECOND!  From a user on their
> network by ADSL.   It's very much time-of day dependant, reasonable at
> night, terrible duing the workday (weekends are not bad)

I've rarely seen any problem other than down to BT.

Ntp.demon and ntp2.demon are both about 20ms down from 33ms
since yesterday morning along with all other connections
being 13ms closer. I don't have third demon server in any
config at moment since it overlaps with a closer one with
same refid.

> Conjestion, traffic shaping?  Who knows, Demon don't if you call them.
>
> "NTP?  Is that like FTP?"  a responce from one of their "Techincal"
> types when I asked a while back...   You could smell the curry cooking
> in the background.

David