[ntp:questions] Monitoring FreeBSD temperatures remotely

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Apr 13 10:05:59 UTC 2010

"Dave Baxter" <spam at goes.nowhere.com> wrote in message []
> It's the documentation for all this I have trouble with.  It's either
> next to nothing, or you get links to several "generic" manual pages or
> "how to" sites, that all say slightly different things.   Most confusing
> and frustrating when you havent the time to sit for hours and try
> everything in turn.
>
> The on line FreeBSD documentation project is indeed awsome, but there is
> just way too much of it for a meer mortal, and no easy (that I have
> found) way to search for something.  It's like many of the printed
> manuals here at work.  Only of any use to someone who already knows
> about it.
>
> Regards to all.
>
> Dave B
> (G8KBV, using a different account/server/isp)

Dave,

If there any specific issues, I'm happy to help on this group (if no-one
objects) but it will be a case of the blind leading the blind!  A basic
FreeBSD install worked as advertised on the box, and I did select NTP from
one of the networking options.  Using vi to edit the ntp.conf was OK, it a
little tiresome.  That got basic NTP working, and the one supplied with
FreeBSD 8.0 includes support for the GPS (mine was a GPS 18LVC), so you
don't need to recompile the kernel unless you want PPS - and I'm not clear
how much that gives you in the FreeBSD/ntpd 4.2.4p5-a (1) environment.  I
suspect from tens of microseconds to microseconds, so perhaps not
worthwhile.

If there's something which should be on my Web page to help folk like you
and me who aren't FreeBSD savant, please let me know.

Searching - you could use Google.....

Cheers,
David