[ntp:questions] how to have offset < 1ms

unruh unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca
Tue Apr 13 15:17:15 UTC 2010

On 2010-04-13, lhommedumatch <ludocluba at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 13 avr, 00:48, unruh <un... at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> On 2010-04-12, lhommedumatch <ludocl... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm working on a oceanographic vessel
>> > ntpgmtaceb is our reference clock that is synchronised with a gps at
>> > the beginning of a cruise.
>>
>> Why not put a Garmin GPS 18 ?on board the ship and get gps time on the
>> whole cruise?
>>
> That's our policy. I can't decide for that.

If time is important then those who can decide need to be informed. If
it is not important, why worry about 1ms. Esp as over the course of a
cruise the time is apt to be out by seconds, not ms.
Also where is that ntp server with respect to the cruise ship? And how
are you connecting the cruise ship up to the source (how doees Daemon
figure into this?)
Why not get a gps18 which you can plug in next time the ship is in dock,
set the clock and quit worrying about the link.