[ntp:questions] how to have offset < 1ms

Rob nomail at example.com
Tue Apr 13 15:57:36 UTC 2010

unruh <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> On 2010-04-13, lhommedumatch <ludocluba at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Why not put a Garmin GPS 18 ?on board the ship and get gps time on the
>>> whole cruise?
>>>
>> That's our policy. I can't decide for that.
>
> If time is important then those who can decide need to be informed. If
> it is not important, why worry about 1ms. Esp as over the course of a
> cruise the time is apt to be out by seconds, not ms.

In many applications, it is more important that all devices within
some environment agree upon the same standard time, than that this
standard time is within a small offset of true atomic time.

This has been discussed before here, but you don't seem to get it.
He may well want all his computers to be within a millisecond of the
same time reference, but may not at all care what that reference is.
There are many applications where this is a reasonable expectation.

Suggesting a Garmin GPS to be added to each and every configuration
brought up by someone is really not adding much.  When it is not there,
it is not there.  And the configuration may still be very useful.