[ntp:questions] Monitoring FreeBSD temperatures remotely

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Apr 13 17:28:36 UTC 2010

"Rob" <nomail at example.com> wrote in message []
> It probably uses Emacs-style key bindings.  That can be very frustrated
> for users that are not familiar with Emacs.  I remember trying to
> install
> some Linux distribution, I think it was debian, and giving up after
> a while for the same reason.
> There is a Gnu program called "info" that is promoted as a replacement
> for "man" which has the same problem.  Impossible to use.
>
> When you want a Unix-like system which has a bit more userfriendly
> system
> administration it may be better to go for Linux.  Many distributions
> have come a long way in the system installation and administration
> corner,
> they arguably are better than Windows today.
>
> (many Windows users who install Linux and complain about the complexity
> of the installation actually have not installed Windows, it came
> installed
> on their computer)

Thanks for the suggestions, Rob.  I could do what I needed with vi - only
just, and not particularly easily.  I've never used "man", I tend to have
an open Web browser nearby instead.  Couldn't have done that all those
years ago when I first ran UNIX systems (pre-Linux, even).  I'm only after
good timekeeping - everything else I need to do I can do with Windows, but
I note how improved it has become.  BTW: I installed both Windows-7 and
FreeBSD on this box, and managed to get it to dual-boot.

Cheers,
David