[ntp:questions] how to have offset < 1ms

Rob nomail at example.com
Tue Apr 13 17:45:29 UTC 2010

unruh <unruh at wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> That may be what he wants, but it is not what he asked for. He stated
> that he was using an external source as his ntp server, and wanted his
> machine to be within a ms of it. That is a job admirably suited to a GPS
> receiver. He then stated that this was on an oceanographic vessel which
> was set at the beginning of a cruise. A gps receiver again would be
> ideally suited to giving the time throught the cruise. Unless the cruise
> is underwater, the gps signals would be available at all times during
> the cruise.

It seems that you simply WANT to read that he needs a GPS.

It was only stated that he wanted to sync his system to a reference
that is named ntpgmtaceb.  Apparently a system on the LAN, when
reading the ntpq output he posted.  There never was any requirement
to get sync to something else than that ntpgmtaceb.  The sync needed
to be within 1ms, but unfortunately the path to system to sync to has
a delay of 29ms.  This is a bit strange for a LAN.  What is also strange
is that this delay sometimes is a lot lower.

Now this is the info we work from.  The addition of GPS as a requirement
or solution is entirely by you.