[ntp:questions] how to have offset < 1ms

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 13 19:45:45 UTC 2010

David Woolley wrote:
> unruh wrote:
>
>> install a gps. This is almost certainly the simplest. The next is to
>> figure out why his network connection is so flakey. If as has been
>> implied it is daemon.com who is providing attrocious adsl service, then
>
> demon.co.uk was a red herring introduced by another poster.  As I
> understand it the, the OP has a completely closed network.

With a closed network the options are limited.  With a place to site a
GPS antenna, you can install a GPS clock that will be accurate to within
+/- 50 nanoseconds.  Getting the time into the computer will degrade the
time somewhat but it should still be usable.  Various radio clocks are
available: WWV, WWVA, WWVB, CHU, JJY and more.  These may require an
antenna somewhat larger than a GPS antenna. :-)