[ntp:questions] Building FreeBSD V8.0 kernel for PPS

G8KBV dave at g8kbv.removethis.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 20:40:27 UTC 2010

Hi all again.

I'm still trying to follow the instructions at:-
http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145

As earlier, so far so good (if after several tries, eventualy getting
FreeBSD loaded and running) I'm at the stage of enabling PPS support in
the kernel.

But....

After successfully adding 'options PPS_SYNC' to the PPSGENERIC file, at
the end of the other options declerations (using vim!)  And checking
it's 'stuck' in there.

When I 'make buildkernel KENRCONF=PPSGENERIC'

Nowt happens, except a short error message to the effect that it doesnt
know how to build the kernel.

Err, what!????

I did have to go back into sysinstall, to download and install the
system sources, but after that, right up to the make buildkernel....
command, all had gone as described.

So, what's missing, and where how can I get it.

Anyone here know what went wrong, or do I go looking for a newbie
friendly f'bsd group (not found one of those yet.)

Cheers.

Dave B.