[ntp:questions] Building FreeBSD V8.0 kernel for PPS

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Wed Apr 14 02:01:14 UTC 2010

G8KBV wrote:
> Hi all again.
>
> I'm still trying to follow the instructions at:-
> http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145
>
> As earlier, so far so good (if after several tries, eventualy getting
> FreeBSD loaded and running) I'm at the stage of enabling PPS support in
> the kernel.
>
> But....
>
> After successfully adding 'options PPS_SYNC' to the PPSGENERIC file, at
> the end of the other options declerations (using vim!)  And checking
> it's 'stuck' in there.
>
> When I 'make buildkernel KENRCONF=PPSGENERIC'
>
> Nowt happens, except a short error message to the effect that it doesnt
> know how to build the kernel.
>
> Err, what!????
>
> I did have to go back into sysinstall, to download and install the
> system sources, but after that, right up to the make buildkernel....
> command, all had gone as described.
>
> So, what's missing, and where how can I get it.
>
> Anyone here know what went wrong, or do I go looking for a newbie
> friendly f'bsd group (not found one of those yet.)

I've just downloaded the sources onto my NetBSD system
"ftp ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/8.0-RELEASE/src/"
"mget ssys.[a-d]*"
"mget sbase.[a-d]*"
then unpacked to src directory.

It's mentioned in README that you might need to build world
before you can buildkernel.

That's not something to look forward to :-(

A few weeks ago a netbsd buildworld took my p4-2400 system
around 12 hours to complete although I had it niced to low
priority.

It's also worth looking at the files UPDATING and Makefile.

On NetBSD for a first kernel I normally just copy GENERIC
to MYKERNEL and attempt to build that before making any
changes. Kernel takes 15-20 minutes.

David