[ntp:questions] Building FreeBSD V8.0 kernel for PPS

Dave Baxter spam at goes.nowhere.com
Wed Apr 14 08:50:56 UTC 2010

In article <hq3pem$h12$1 at news.eternal-september.org>, david-
taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid says...

> > Hi all again.
> >
> > I'm still trying to follow the instructions at:-
> > http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145
> []
> > I did have to go back into sysinstall, to download and install the
> > system sources, but after that, right up to the make buildkernel....
> > command, all had gone as described.
> >
> > So, what's missing, and where how can I get it.
> >
> > Anyone here know what went wrong, or do I go looking for a newbie
> > friendly f'bsd group (not found one of those yet.)
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Dave B.
>
> Dave,
>
> Sorry to hear you're having problems.  Those instructions had worked for
> me.  IIRC, I had downloaded the "kernel developer" set of files when
> installing FreeBSD.  Perhaps you're missing a compiler or a linker?
>
> To get a log of the session, you could login remotely over SSH.  Enable
> SSH
>
>   http://nixcraft.com/all-about-freebsd-openbsd-netbsd/505-enable-ssh-service-bsd.html
>
> and then see:
>
>   http://www.scriptinstallation.in/freebsd_permitrootlogin.html
>
> I use the TeraTerm Pro (free) Windows terminal emulator with this SSH
> add-on:
>
>   http://web.archive.org/web/20050702021104/http://www.zip.com.au/~roca/ttssh.html
>
> At least you can the cut-and-paste the last few lines with the error.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>   http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

Hi

As I had told it during the main OS install, not to enable remote
logins, sshd and all that (as I do not intend to remote admin the thing,
as I have a KVM switch between 4 machines!)  I think yet another
protracted full clean install would be needed to do much of that.  :(
I do not have another two/three days to waste at this time.

Missing compiler?  could be, but it successfully did the 'vim' thing,
building Perl or Python (whatever) and something else huge in the
process. (three hours in total!)

I've also got the same question running on one FreeBSD group, so will
see what comes back from there too.

Regards.

Dave B.