[ntp:questions] Building FreeBSD V8.0 kernel for PPS

Dave Baxter spam at goes.nowhere.com
Wed Apr 14 08:50:45 UTC 2010

In article <_didnRMzOqHxZlnWnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d at giganews.com>, rgilbert88
@comcast.net says...

> G8KBV wrote:
> > In article <F49920CD-8C36-4B78-94F1-1D8D5C09243F at mac.com>,
> > cswiger at mac.com says...

> >> That should be KERNCONF, not KENRCONF.  Of course, you should provide the exact error message, rather than an interpretation of it.

> >> Regards,
> >
> > Chuck:
> > Typo on my part.  In the posting AFIK.
> >
> > I tried it a few times, though not to say I didn't type it wrong each
> > time.   It's late now and that machine is currently off, so will have to
> > wait till much later, like late tomorrow.
> >
> > I can't copy/paste from the FreeBSD machine to this one, and I have no
> > idea how to copy paste from the command line/terminal screen, to a
> > floppy (or anything else!) but the error was very short, but almost
> > literaly "dont know how to build PPSGENERIC"  No other details were
> > shown.
> >

> > Michael:
> > As to 'cd /usr/src' before issuing the make command, yes, of course I
> > did that, but you are right to to ask.
> >

> > Nite nite.
> > Dave B
>
> The error message suggests, to me, that there is something wrong with
> your make file.  The other possibility is that you have misspelled the
> name of the file.
>
> Remember that the computer is absolutely literal; it will do, or attempt
> to do exactly what you told it to do.  This will not necessarily be what
> you meant!
>
> "Managing Projects with make" is an excellent book available from

I didnt make the make file.   Or is that the problem?   I'm only
following instructions after all.

And yes.  "Computers only do exactly what you tell them to do, not what
you meant them to do!"   I know that only too well.

I'm not a computer novice, far from it.  I'm only a noob in respect to
FreeBSD.

Dave B.