[ntp:questions] how to have offset < 1ms

Uwe Klein uwe_klein_habertwedt at t-online.de
Thu Apr 15 11:31:43 UTC 2010

nemo_outis wrote:
> It is frequently the case that OPs (for a variety of reasons) misstate or
> mispecify their problem or overconstrain its solution (either in terms of
> what can or must be done or what can't or mustn't).  I submit that the
> current OP is a classic case.

The classic situation I've seen here on a regular basis is
that the submittant would like to have a cohesive timing situation
and does not care for syncronicity to the outside world.

The classic answer seems to be a handwaving jedi gesture.
You don't want that, you want "real" timekeeping.

( which imho is understandable, some here have put a significant
   amount of their lifetime into "real" timekeeping.
    The request thus is a distastefull abomination )

On the other hand cohesive group timing is quite sufficient in a lot of
applications. And lacking in agility to jump all the hoops presented
on the way towards "real" timekeeping this will just have to do in some
cases.

uwe