[ntp:questions] Building FreeBSD V8.0 kernel for PPS

Dave Baxter spam at goes.nowhere.com
Thu Apr 15 15:59:32 UTC 2010

In article <hq7bqa$ovh$1 at news.eternal-september.org>, david-
taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid says...

> > I might have some progress on this.  More news later.  It seems to be
> > compiling now.
> >
> > I missed something in the instructions, as you do, when it's late and
> > the eyes are going.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Dave B.
>
> I used copy and paste from my Web browser into the terminal emulator
> session!
>
> Cheers,
> David

Well..

It compiled and installed OK now!  :)

What happened was...   I printed off the web page with the instrucions
on, as I only have one screen, and the KVM switch is a bit slow to swap
from one PC to the other, or the monitor takes it's time to figure
things out, whatever, it's a pain...

Sadly, there was one critical line of text that fell off the bottom of
one page, not making it to the top of the next (for whatever reason.)
That had instructions relating to other stuff to download, not just the
sys distribution, but base and something else (I'm not in front of that
machine at the mo.)

As I said, when you're tired and p'd off with things, simple things like
that become total show stoppers, and you cant see the wood for the
trees!

Anyway, once all the needed stuff was got, it worked just like
described.  (took an hour and 15 mins to compile the kernel.)

The clue, was someone asked how many visible files and folders were in
the /usr/src/ directory.  From my answer of "not much", they concluded I
had not installed all the needed baggage, and pointed me at the line in
the instructions, that I couldnt find on the printout, but could see on
the webpage..

When I re-printed that page out from another PC, no text was lost.  Odd.

Next step, to spark up NTPD and see if that plays.  But that may have to
wait till next week, as I'm away for the weekend now.   I already have a
pre configured GPS RX ready to go however.

Thanks everyone for your time and patience.

Dave B.