[ntp:questions] Building FreeBSD V8.0 kernel for PPS

G8KBV dave at g8kbv.removethis.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 09:44:24 UTC 2010

In article <hq7ocu$nn9$1 at news.eternal-september.org>, david-
taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid says...

> > Well..
> >
> > It compiled and installed OK now!  :)
> []
> > Next step, to spark up NTPD and see if that plays.  But that may have to
> > wait till next week, as I'm away for the weekend now.   I already have a
> > pre configured GPS RX ready to go however.
> >
> > Thanks everyone for your time and patience.
> >
> > Dave B.
>
> Excellent, Dave!
>
> Frustrating that it took so long, but at least there's a logical
> explanation for the failure.  Once you get it running, it will be
> interesting to compare with and without the kernel more (a one character
> change in ntp.conf and a restart) and see what the different in
> performance is.
>
> I'll be distracted for several hours by the motor racing this weekend!
>
> Cheers,
> David

I'm not about this weekend either, so play will recommence sometime next
week.   I'ts synching with a collection of uk.pool servers at the mo,
just for the heck of it.  Turns out, it's USB ports wont supply enough
power for even the GPS, unless something else was plugged in first to
wake them up, so I need to modify the cabling to use the (soon to be
redundant) PS2 mouse port for 5V power.

I'm quite impressed with the (so far) result, in as much as it's almost
an "appliance" now.  You can power it down cleanly from the front panel
Power button, FreeBSD recognising the request and doing the right thing
all by itself.  Likewise, it'll boot and NTP run's just fine with no
"user" input needed.

Off to play 4x4 stuff now.

Cheers.

Dave B.