[ntp:questions] Building FreeBSD V8.0 kernel for PPS

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Apr 17 08:32:41 UTC 2010

> I'm not about this weekend either, so play will recommence sometime next
> week.   I'ts synching with a collection of uk.pool servers at the mo,
> just for the heck of it.

Yes, that was how I started when getting the box working - it proved that
basic NTP and the network were both OK.  I actually synced with internal
servers first as I hadn't got the gateway IP address configured on the
FreeBSD box.

> Turns out, it's USB ports wont supply enough
> power for even the GPS, unless something else was plugged in first to
> wake them up, so I need to modify the cabling to use the (soon to be
> redundant) PS2 mouse port for 5V power.

Oh, that's tiresome!  I haven't seen that problem, but as it happens on
that box the GPS feed is simply a parallel RS-232 feed from a separately
powered GPS puck.

> I'm quite impressed with the (so far) result, in as much as it's almost
> an "appliance" now.  You can power it down cleanly from the front panel
> Power button, FreeBSD recognising the request and doing the right thing
> all by itself.  Likewise, it'll boot and NTP run's just fine with no
> "user" input needed.
>
> Off to play 4x4 stuff now.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Dave B.

Oh, that's quite nice.  I've not really tested that - I recall the power
button really does kill the power, but next time I need to add a display
to that box I can check.  It's very handy that the board powers up with no
mouse, keyboard or display attached.

Enjoy your weekend!

Cheers,
David