[ntp:questions] Reference Clock driver for getting time via "date" command over telnet?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Apr 23 07:42:11 UTC 2010

Martin Burnicki wrote:

> Hm, AFAIK at least the time and daytime protocols have only 1 second
> resolution. Even if there's a way to feed this to ntpd, I doubt ntpd would
> accept such jitter, or does it?

By default, I think it will exceed the step out limit, so that most of
the samples will get discarded, and there is a risk that ntpd will end
up stepping up to a second every 15 minutes.

If there is more than one source, it is going to need the reference
clock driver to declare a very large root dispersion.  Can reference
clock drivers set their root dispersion.  I don't know if the sampling
is sufficiently randomised to make the large jitter visible, which might
open up the total dispersion.