[ntp:questions] NTP on small 100% Linux LAN : reasonable access control policy ?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun Aug 1 20:58:10 UTC 2010

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:oPidnYn0GY9xKsjRnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d at giganews.com...
[]
> If your definition of "close" is used, you hardly need NTP.  My PC
> running Windows/XP SP3 is within a few milliseconds running nothing more
> than W32TIME.

What accuracy is required wasn't specified by the OP.  W32Time
unfortunately cannot be managed and monitored as well as NTP, and the
version in XP doesn't offer server fallback (IIRC).

> I've had a Sun Ultra 10 Workstation running Solaris keep time within
> fifty microseconds or better using a GPS timing receiver and NTPD.

.. and my FreeBSD system - PC Pixie - is within a few microseconds:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/pixie_ntp.html

(the apparent drift in the Monthly and Yearly graphs is due to errors
accumulating in MRTG, I understand).

Cheers,
David