[ntp:questions] Outrageous delay syncing WinXP to Linux with ntp4.2.6p2

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Tue Aug 3 22:23:50 UTC 2010

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:

>>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
>> offset  jitter
>> *LOCAL(0)        .LOCL.          10 l   56   64    1    0.000
>> 0.000   0.000
>>  linux_time_svr   LOCAL(0)      3 u   45   64    1    0.578  747067.
>> 0.146
>
> That looks like the client is almost 12.5 minutes off from the server?
>
>  Try turning panic off?   ... or do a NTPdate or NTPd -q first?

Panic won't help, as it is less than 1000s.  The real problem is that
he's got a local clock defined for no good reason (local clocks should
only ever be configured by power users, and generally never on leaf
nodes) and not enough real servers to outvote it (although I thought the
rules did cause a real server to override a local clock).