[ntp:questions] ntpd/refclock_local.c

mval mjjunk19 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 21:53:31 UTC 2010

Upgrading ntp from 4.2.0 to 4.2.6p1.

System receives time via broadcast over the wildcard interface.
Everything is working correctly after the upgrade; system first syncs
with local clock, then receives broadcast and syncs with it.

In version 4.2.0, if the broadcast server went down, ntpd would resync
with the local time until the broadcast server came back up (the
transition took approximately 6 minutes).  In 4.2.6p1, if the
broadcast server goes down, ntpd never re-syncs with the local time.
A ntpq -p reports that the LOCAL can still be seen, but ntpd does not
report that it has synced with it.

This is an issue because this client acts as a server for other
systems that are downstream.

I did some digging, and found that there are two lines of code that
cause my issue and are located in ntpd/refclock_lcoal.c:

/*
 * Do no evil unless the house is dark or lit with our own lamp.
 */
if(!(sys_peer == NULL || sys_peer == peer))
    return;

If I comment these two lines of code out, 4.2.6p1 functions exactly
the same as 4.2.0.  I was hoping someone could tell me if there is any
documentation regarding when/why these lines of code were added and if
commenting these two lines of code out effects the rest of NTP in an
unfavorable way.

I appreciate any help.  Please let me know if there is any other
information required.

Regards,
mval