[ntp:questions] ntpd/refclock_local.c

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Aug 6 06:44:21 UTC 2010

mval wrote:

> In version 4.2.0, if the broadcast server went down, ntpd would resync
> with the local time until the broadcast server came back up (the

What do you mean by "resync with the local time"?  The local time always
has an offset of exactly zero so never affects the clock discipline,
except possibly by diluting the effect of other sources.

> transition took approximately 6 minutes).  In 4.2.6p1, if the
> broadcast server goes down, ntpd never re-syncs with the local time.
> A ntpq -p reports that the LOCAL can still be seen, but ntpd does not
> report that it has synced with it.

Does it report stratum 16, or the broadcast related stratum.  If it
reports the broadcast related stratum there is no problem; you are
serving the local clock time indicating it is valid.  Root dispersion
will continue to increase, to indicate that the time is suspect.  The
only reservation I would have is that it needs to switch source before
the root dispersion gets to a point where clients will start ignoring
it, but that should take about a day.

Incidentally, it seems weird to have a broadcast client that is not
leaf node.