[ntp:questions] ntpd/refclock_local.c

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 6 20:22:33 UTC 2010

mval wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
>> What do you mean by "resync with the local time"?  The local time always
>> has an offset of exactly zero so never affects the clock discipline,
>> except possibly by diluting the effect of other sources.
>
> Please forgive me.  I'm an intern and pretty new to all of this, so my
> terminology may be completely off.  Let me try to clarify.
<snip>
> Again, my apologies, as I'm not familiar enough to understand what you
> mean by leaf node.

The expression "leaf node" refers to a tree structure.  A computer
scientist's "tree" has a "root", "branches" and "leaves".

Most "Computer Science" texts will refer to "trees" or "tree
structures".  Since computer scientists are a little weird, they draw
their trees with the root at the top.  Branches descend from the root
and terminate in leaves or "leaf nodes".