[ntp:questions] Trouble with XP IPv6 ntp client (still unable to connect to link local ntp server)

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Sat Aug 7 13:46:03 UTC 2010

Danny Mayer wrote:
> On 8/6/2010 3:54 AM, Rob wrote:
>> Danny Mayer<mayer at ntp.org>  wrote:
>>> Never run ntpd on a virtual machine. In this case let the VMWare host
>>> run ntpd. The VM clients don't need it, they get their clock from the
>>> underlying VM which should be disciplining the clock.

I have preached the same for a few years, but then I read an article
from/about VMware where one of their architects stated that the latest
ESX product gave even better results when running ntpd on the client OS.

>> That is hardly relevant, I think.
>> She wants to test something related to the network.

In which case having a bunch of VM client machines is a good idea.

> You can't use virtual machines to set the clock. It has nothing to do
> with the network.

Not to set the host clock, but the client clock works well, it pretty
much has to, otherwise this would constitute a virtualization failure.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>