[ntp:questions] Trouble with XP IPv6 ntp client (still unable to connect to link local ntp server)

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Sat Aug 7 16:22:02 UTC 2010

On 2010-08-07, Cindy Huyser <chuyser at io.com> wrote:

> [---=| Quote block shrinked by t-prot: 32 lines snipped |=---]
>> My configuration file is very simple:
>>
>> driftfile       "C:\Windows\Temp\ntp.drift"
>> broadcastdelay  0.008

This has nothing to do with your IPv6 issue ... but:

The broadcastdelay line is only necessary for configurations where a
broadcast client is not able to calculate the delay during the temporary
unicast phase of a broadcast association (e.g. over one way links).

In your case this ntpd is not even configured as a broadcastclient, so
that line has no effect.

>> logfile         "C:\Windows\Temp\ntp.log"
>>
>> server -6 fe80::290:fbff:fe80:6aff%4 minpoll 4 maxpoll 5 iburst prefer

Why the "%4" at the end of the address? Can you retry your configuration
without it?

> After all this, with all due respect I wonder how much testing of this
> functionality has gone on with Windows XP?

Such testing would require developer access to a Windows XP machine.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>