[ntp:questions] use ntpd, how to know unsync status on linux system

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Mon Aug 16 06:16:20 UTC 2010

赵颖科 wrote:
>         I`m using ntpd(ntp4.2.6p1) as client in linux(2.6.26). I have some questions about my user app how to know the ntp client sync status.
>
>         1. I use ntp_gettime, is there other way?

That depends on what you want to know about the state of ntpd.  You
probably should want to know the error bound, in which case it is an
appropriate method.  If you really want to know whether it is synched,
you need to use the NTP protocol to either check the stratum (note that
this may take a long time to go to 16, when the last server stops
responding, or more detailed state variables.

>         2. If there is no server alive, when I start ntp client, why ntptime show :ntp_gettime() returns code 0, but not code 5?

I believe there was a policy decision some time ago never to declare a
failure to this interface.

>          I trace the  function loop_config in the file ntpd/ntp_loopfilter.c :
>         I think it should be :
>                 ntv.maxerror = (u_int32)(MAXDISPERSE * 1e6);
>                 ntv.esterror = (u_int32)(MAXDISPERSE * 1e6);

I tend to agree.

>         or not?
>
>         3. If ntp server no answer for 1h or shortter time, ntpd can mark unsync stat? how could I config ntpd?

Why is this important to you?  The time should still be very accurate at
that point.

> 本电子邮件及附件都属机密文件,并且仅供标明地址的个人或团体使用。
> 如果本电子邮件与您无关,请删除全部原始信息(包括任何原始信息的备份),并通知发件人。

1) the English version of this is not a accurate translation of the
Chinese.  It fails to translate 或团体使用.  I know this is a common
error in English versions.  (The Chinese version applies to companies
and other groups of people, as well as natural persons.)

2) by using this at all here, you are devaluing it, as this a publicly
archived USENET newsgroup (and may also be archived as the feeder
maililng list).  If you use it for something that is clearly
non-confidential, why should people believe you when there is some
question of the confidentiality?