[ntp:questions] General ntp architecture question

ask ask at develooper.com
Mon Aug 16 06:51:40 UTC 2010

On Aug 2, 1:35 am, konsu <konrad.azzopa... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I work for an investment bank with 300 UNIX servers, around 3000
> workstation PCs and would like to ask some questions to more
> experience users.
>
> a) Are there any banks relying on ntp pool project or should we
> consider having our own GPS clock ?

If you have any sort of legal and practical requirement for keeping
accurate and tracable time you need your own "stratum 1" source.

I'd get a GPS timeserver for each physical location (unless you trust
your internal network very much) and then on each server and
workstation, as others suggested, you configure to use your various
GPS-based ntp servers.

Meinberg donated a couple of GPS NTP time server to the NTP Pool
project and their accuracy, stability and ease of use are just
incredible.   The time quality is so good that ntpd even far away
(network wise) usually pick them despite having more nearby other
"good" time sources.

 - ask

--
http://askask.com/