[ntp:questions] broadcastclient ignoring packets on Solaris 10 with auth disabled

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Sat Aug 21 22:50:04 UTC 2010

On 8/16/2010 8:18 PM, John Warburton wrote:
> Hi Danny
>
> Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
>
> The ntp.conf was included in the original post, but I've included it
> here again:
>
> engnsvr002# cat /etc/inet/ntp.conf
> disable auth
> driftfile /var/ntp/ntp.drift
> broadcastclient
>
> I have re-run with -D4 and for much longer (see below), but
> essentially the packets are all being seen (and rejected on fd=20),
> and nothing on fd=25
>
> Regards
>
> John

I'm not sure what's going on. It looks like the broadcastclient was not
set up right to receive the broadcast packets but I cannot tell why it
would be. Going to the wildcard slot means that the O/S didn't receive
the directive to deliver the packet to the interface specifically set up
to do this. I don't think that there is anything special about Solaris
10 and it definitely used to work. I should look to see if we are
broadcasting packets on some of the flock and enable broadcast on one of
the Sunsies.

Danny