[ntp:questions] noise and stability values

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Thu Aug 26 13:57:47 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

A few years ago I started graphing my NTP server's performance. The
machine ran Debian lenny with ntp v4.2.4. However, after recently
upgrading to squeeze, which comes with ntp v4.2.6, I noticed that two
system variables included in my graphs -- noise and stability -- are no
longer present: neither in the output of "ntpq -c rv", nor in its
associated manual, ntpq.html, which is part of the ntp-doc package. Well,
actually the noise variable wasn't mentioned in the previous version of
the manual either (dated July 28, 2005), but is was present in the output
from the above command.

So, can ntpq no longer be used to examine a system's noise and stability
variables, or is it currently necessary to use different command?

Cheers,

Jaap