[ntp:questions] Issues with Linux 2.6.x and LinuxPPS

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 30 12:16:19 UTC 2010

Venu Gopal wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I would like to know about any specific configuration settings needed for
> latest Linux kernels.
>
> I am using Linux-2.6.35-2 with ntp-4.2.6p2. Following are the observations:
>
> 1. It takes a couple of hours for time to settle down to few usec.

Absolutely normal!  NTPD can sometimes need up to ten hours to achieve
the accuracy it is capable of.

The design assumes that you will run NTPD 24 X 365.

If you must run something 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, NTPD is a poor choice!!
If you will use it as designed, NTPD should be able to keep your clock
within microseconds of the correct time!

NTPD has competitors with behavior closer to what you seem to be looking
for.  It's my understanding that they have accuracy and stability
characteristics decidedly different than NTPD!