[ntp:questions] synchronization distance

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Dec 3 07:51:00 UTC 2010

Atul Gupta wrote:

> Can anyone explain me what is synchronization distance in case of ntp?
> and what is distance exceeded problem?

It's an estimate of the maximum difference between the time on the
stratum zero source and the time measured by the client, consisting of
components for round trip time, system precision and clock drift since
the last actual read of the stratum source.

It most commonly happens because people try to use default
configurations of w32time as their source.  The default configuration
has exceptionally long poll times, and doesn't adjust its stratum to
indicate that it hasn't had an update in days.  (The default
configuration is also far from full NTP compliance.)