[ntp:questions] Problem with Trimble Placer 450 - gpsd - ntpd

Bruce Dale bdale at stny.rr.com
Fri Dec 31 13:35:37 UTC 2010

At 03:14 AM 12/30/2010, you wrote:
>Does this receiver not support the Trimble binary protocol?
>gpsd should switch it to binary protocol and maybe there are
>no problems with that.

The Placer 450 is an older unit intended for position reporting of
trucks. It supports Trimble's TAIP protocol and a subset of the NMEA
protocol. The nice thing about it is that it's available surplus at a
reasonable price.

>How about reporting this bug to Trimble?
>I thought they were a respectable manufacturer of reliable GPS receivers,
>not some careless company that ships products with bugs like that and
>does nothing to fix them.

It's 15 years old and I'm not sure it's in production any longer. If
I had discovered this a few years ago, yes. There is a work around,
I've modified the gpsd code to detect loss of fix and to stop the PPS
during the no fix interval. I've been working with the gpsd folks to
implement a similar fix in their next release.