[ntp:questions] National time standard differences

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Tue Feb 9 20:50:13 UTC 2010

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> world, and that folks had to invoke relativistic corrections. Were
>> these better than microseconds as well?
>>

> Please excuse me if I leave relativistic corrections to the late
> Professor Einstein! It's not something I've ever needed to know!

Oh, but you do!

Or at least your GPS does: The sat clocks vary in speed since the orbits
are not perfect circles: This means that they run slightly slower than
average when in a low orbit part, and slightly faster during the higher
parts, so that the average is correct.

One of the corrections terms a regular GPS uses is a clock correction
based on the orbit eccentricity and current altitude.
:-)

This also means that a GPS is the only piece of hardware most people
will ever own that needs to consider Einstein.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>