[ntp:questions] Does NTPClient need to be enabled for clients

Rob nomail at example.com
Fri Feb 12 13:24:56 UTC 2010

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups at NTLWorld.COM> wrote:

>>> I have a cheap router sitting by my left hand as I type this, and I'm
>>> here to tell you that it doesn't contain an NTP server.  There's very
>>> little to be gained by adding an extra stratum solely for the sake of
>>> dividing up the hops for the UDP/IP traffic, you know.  And you're
>>> missing the point that what you are talking about is merely yet
>>> another form of external time server, not qualitatively different
>>> from any other as far as the Windows Time Service is concerned.
>>>
>> No, no, no :) You're missing the point -:)
>>
>> Is not the same thing... Why having DC on the public when you can
>> perform that job internally
>>
> That last sentence doesn't parse.  But the response to the preceding
> sentence is that it very much is the same thing.  There's no qualitative
> difference, as far as the Windows Time Service is concerned, between an
> external time server on a machine somewhere in (say) Finland and an
> external time server on a machine in the next room.  Both are external
> time servers, accessed via NTP/UDP/IP.  So asking why people recommend
> the one and not the other, when in fact people just talk about external
> time servers in general without drawing such a distinction at all, is a
> question based upon a false premise.

I can understand why someone would want to have an NTP service on a
device on his network, like a router, and have it synchronized to a
couple of time sources on the network.  They could then sync all their
Windows systems, or maybe even a single Windows system, off that NTP
service.
This will probably work better than having the Windows system directly
sync off a single internet time source.