[ntp:questions] Does NTPClient need to be enabled for clients

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups at NTLWorld.COM
Fri Feb 12 13:19:44 UTC 2010

>>> Anyway, most, if not, ALL of them have cheap routers that provide
>>> this functionally without additional cost.
>>>
>> I have a cheap router sitting by my left hand as I type this, and I'm
>> here to tell you that it doesn't contain an NTP server.  There's very
>> little to be gained by adding an extra stratum solely for the sake of
>> dividing up the hops for the UDP/IP traffic, you know.  And you're
>> missing the point that what you are talking about is merely yet
>> another form of external time server, not qualitatively different
>> from any other as far as the Windows Time Service is concerned.
>>
> No, no, no :) You're missing the point -:)
>
> Is not the same thing... Why having DC on the public when you can
> perform that job internally

That last sentence doesn't parse.  But the response to the preceding
sentence is that it very much is the same thing.  There's no qualitative
difference, as far as the Windows Time Service is concerned, between an
external time server on a machine somewhere in (say) Finland and an
external time server on a machine in the next room.  Both are external
time servers, accessed via NTP/UDP/IP.  So asking why people recommend
the one and not the other, when in fact people just talk about external
time servers in general without drawing such a distinction at all, is a
question based upon a false premise.