[ntp:questions] Does NTPClient need to be enabled for clients

Rob nomail at example.com
Fri Feb 12 15:24:17 UTC 2010

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups at NTLWorld.COM> wrote:

>> We use our one of our data centers internal default gateway (Router).
>> Everything feeds off of that.
>> It had best work well. It was $100K +.
>>
> So what benefit is that $100K extra stratum gaining you?  It has to be
> more than just splitting the UDP/IP path to the lower stratum servers in
> twain.  But it's not reliability, because if your router goes down it
> still takes your NTP server with it.  So what is it?  Do you perhaps

The big advantage of such a setup is that all your systems will agree
on the same time.  Locally you have short roundtrip time variations so
the polls of the local NTP server have small jitter and are not affected
by the loading of the internet link.

It is usually more important that all systems have the same time, than
that this time is very accurate.