[ntp:questions] Does NTPClient need to be enabled for clients

Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT] aceman at mvps.RemoveThisPart.org
Fri Feb 12 15:51:56 UTC 2010

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:b_ydnaulocUc6OjWnZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d at giganews.com...
> Rob wrote:
>> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups at NTLWorld.COM>

>>> So what benefit is that $100K extra stratum gaining you?  It has to be
>>> more than just splitting the UDP/IP path to the lower stratum servers in
>>> twain.  But it's not reliability, because if your router goes down it
>>> still takes your NTP server with it.  So what is it?  Do you perhaps
>>
>> The big advantage of such a setup is that all your systems will agree
>> on the same time.  Locally you have short roundtrip time variations so
>> the polls of the local NTP server have small jitter and are not affected
>> by the loading of the internet link.
>>
>> It is usually more important that all systems have the same time, than
>> that this time is very accurate.
>
> If you can get all systems to agree on the time it's usually no more
> difficult to get them to agree on the *correct* time!  The rock solid
> "beat" of a GPS is easy for most clocks to march to!

Wait a sec, all systems *agree* on a time? It's not a political election
process with time management in an AD infrastructure. The PDC Emulator in
the forest root is the time source for a forest. There is no Klingon
dissention to take over. :-) Just sync that guy, and if it is off,
everything else will be. Nothing to agree or disagree on among machines.

Ace