[ntp:questions] Does NTPClient need to be enabled for clients

Jorge Silva jorgesilva_pt at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 13 23:33:58 UTC 2010

Ehhh...
Okay, I see that people are missing the point that I tried to explain. The
problem is the precedence! When you open a precedence you're (probably)
opening a "door" to problems (for those that work in medium/large systems,
they know what I mean). IMO DCs shouldn't go out to public, it doesn't
matter if is only because the PDCe needs to sync the Time with a reliable
external time source or the importance that the Time service has in a Active
Directory hierarchy. In medium, large systems that can be the argument  to
open other things that might be considered low risk value in terms of
security and valuable in terms of internal functionality. What this means
is, is the time service important to Kerberos? Yes. Is Time sync important
to Active Directory? Absolutely. Will Active Directory stop working if the
PDCe doesn't sync its time with an external source? No way. Is it important
to have the correct and most accurate time inside your system? Of course,
you don't want to issue documents to your clients with the incorrect time.
Hum... What is more important: to have the most accurate time in your
internal/external systems or protect your DCs from external time sources?
THEY'RE BOTH IMPORTANT!!! :) - How to solve this? For those you who can
afford, create/expose a dedicated "Box" with one or more
external/internal/reliable Time server and sync your PDCe from there. Keep
in mind that in some companies, time is very, very, very important, and
their applications can't afford to have the %minutes skew that the Kerberos
has configured by default . So How do they solve this problem? They spend
huge amounts of money in boxes and Applications that are smart enough to
sync, compare, calculate and issue the exact/correct/time to their systems,
in some scenarios this can be done at the second :)

Conclusion of all threads:
- Is the best option to have the PDCe sync with external times sources?
Probably not.
-Is the Linksys a crappy router? Yes (just kidding, it's worse than that
:)).
-What Paul's router does? Mushroom cheese steak, cheese fries, and a vanilla
milkshake.

--

I hope that the information above helps you.
Have a Nice day.

Jorge Silva
MVP Directory Services

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup

news:edZ8Ot$qKHA.4752 at TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...