[ntp:questions] Befuddled and confused, again...

Dave Baxter spam at goes.nowhere.com
Sun Feb 14 14:52:17 UTC 2010

Hi All.

Been trying (again) to setup a FreeBSD GPSDNTP server, as I want to use
the currently used Win2k (With the Meinberg binary etc) box for
something else, having found that running anything else "significant" on
it, "distrubes" the NTPD system somewhat.  Nothing wrong with the
Meinberg system (far from it in fact) it's just that I need that machine
to replace an older PC that has finaly expired, so as I have another
with no OS on it, I thought I'd go the FreeBSD route this time.

I did manage to follow through the instructions about a year ago, and
they worked fine on the PC I hijacked at that time to play with (someone
at work eventualy threw out that PC while I wasn't looking, sadly it was
too badly damaged in the process to reclaim!)  Now trying to retrace my
stept I get errors trying to rebuild the kernel to support PPS.

I'm using the information on David Taylors Satsignal site
http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm
in respect to recompiling to get PPS support in the Kernel, using the
exact same version of FreeBSD as I used before

I have to admit to being somewhat confused by the linked instructions at
freebsd.org, and the comments from others on DT's site.  Lots of
assumption that the readers know what they are talking about!

FreeBSD installed OK (on the third attempt, due to my finger trouble)
and seems happy, ie, it appears it can do all the usual things, I think,
at least it can ping Auntie Beeb OK.

The PC this time, is a Gateway E-1400 small format desktop (nice and
quiet!) with 256MEG RAM & a P3 700MHz CPU (same memory size as the
earlier now trashed machine.)

It's also FreeBSD V5.4 I'm using, the same one as David Taylor pointed
me at a while ago.

The errors I'm getting occur when insalling the new kernel, relating to
missing files or directories.  Indeed, what it is looking for, isnt
there.   Also, I can't find /etc/make.conf!   What is the correct full
path to that file?  I suspect this is the root (pun intended) cause of
the trouble.  At the moment I have an etc directory listed in /usr/src
but that does not have a make.conf in there.

Interestingly 'make buildkernel ...' appears to work fine, it completes
with no error that I can tell anyway.

But 'make installkernel ...' fails with the directory not found errors.

Yes, I'm logged into the box as root, full (AFIK) rights and privilages
etc.   Other than that, I'm a total Noob at F'BSD, so apologies etc,
again.

What have I done wrong this time?

Lastly.  Has anyone yet produced a live boot GPSDNTP server CD?  I can
find live boot FTP and WEB servers, Routers, NAS servers etc, but no
time servers.

Cheers.

Dave B (G0WBX)