[ntp:questions] Does NTPClient need to be enabled for clients

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups at NTLWorld.COM
Sun Feb 14 16:51:22 UTC 2010

>> That last sentence doesn't parse. But the response to the preceding
>> sentence is that it very much is the same thing. There's no
>> qualitative difference, as far as the Windows Time Service is
>> concerned, between an external time server on a machine somewhere in
>> (say) Finland and an external time server on a machine in the next
>> room. Both are external time servers, accessed via NTP/UDP/IP. So
>> asking why people recommend the one and not the other, when in fact
>> people just talk about external time servers in general without
>> drawing such a distinction at all, is a question based upon a false
>> premise.
>>
> I can understand why someone would want to have an NTP service on a
> device on his network, like a router, and have it synchronized to a
> couple of time sources on the network. They could then sync all their
> Windows systems, or maybe even a single Windows system, off that NTP
> service.
> This will probably work better than having the Windows system directly
> sync off a single internet time source.

Remember that the context is Active Directory and the Windows Time
Service, here.  In an AD setup with WTS, all of the workstations
synchronize from the domain controllers, all of the domain controllers
synchronize from their superiors, and only the domain controller with
the PDC Emulator rôle synchronizes with something else.  As such the
scenario isn't one of all machines directly synchronizing from an
external time source.  Only what one machine, the PDCE, does is actually
the relevant factor here, and the distinction that M. Silva has been
drawing, that other people have not been drawing, is that one machine
synchronizing from an external source that is relatively close versus it
synchronizing from an external source that is out on Internet.  Xe's
then been asking why people recommend the latter over the former.  But
since no-one else has drawn that distinction, the question is an
unanswerable one based upon a false premise.