[ntp:questions] Befuddled and confused, again...

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Sun Feb 14 17:54:18 UTC 2010

On 2010-02-14, Dave Baxter <spam at goes.nowhere.com> wrote:

> I *Need* PPS support, as I have an app that needs mS accruacy.  See:-
> http://www.dxatlas.com/Faros/  for details of what I have running, that
> needs such data.   Plus, for whatever reason, my ISP (Demon/Thus/C&W)
> seem unable to provide a stable NTP service these days.

I am not aware that just configuring your system for PPS without
actually using some hardware that provides a UTC synchronized signal
will gain any higher accuracy than just running ntpd that is
synchronized to Internet servers.

> I've been at it (trying to get FreeBSD working again) this time for over
> 3 weeks!  And am about to lob the thing out of the window.

It should just require booting from the install disk, taking the defaults
when partitioning your hard drive, giving the PC a hostname, and providing
a root password when prompted.  That will get your computer running.
Once it runs, configure your /etc/ntp.conf to look for at least 4
internet servers.  That should bring you ms. accuracy traced to UTC.

> I find that there is just way too much documentation spread all over the
> web etc, all poorly indexed (as a noob sees it at least.)  There also
> seems to be an assumption, that anyone looking at the info, already
> knows what they are looking at.  (This is not alone in that respect of
> course.)

The FreeBSD Handbook gets installed if selected during the install
process, you can always add it later.  It is 'The Source' of accurate
answers to questions.  Don't use someone elses interpretation of what
should be there or how something is supposed to work!

> One huge dificulty I have, is that I do not know how to get it to
> remember the "prompt =" settings, or that I use a UK keyboard!  I have
> to change those settings each and every boot at the moment.

This depends on your shell.  It should be in either .login or .profile
in your home directory.

> I hear what you are saying re using a later version, but as I have the
> install CD's here for this, and it's purely for a local never-to-be-on-
> the-web server, on a relatively low powered machine, unless someone says
> otherwise, and as I had it working before, I'd prefer at this time to
> stick with what I have.

Use it if you really want to.  That version is several years old and you
are more likely to get questions answered if you had the last released
version loaded.  There have been changes made and stuff might not work
the same, if you ask a question about a 5.xxxx version and get an answer
from someone using a 8.xxxx release.

> Oh, you still didn't indicate the exact full path to the 'make.conf'
> file.  I know it's in /etc, but what directory should that spawn from?
> I don't have notes showing I had to create that file, only that I edited
> what was already there last time. (failing to make a record as to it's
> exact location I admit!)

You will need to create a file in the /etc directory called make.conf if
you need to override something that is default.  That file does not need
to be created if you don't have a requirement to have something built
that is different that the default action in the default system.

> As to the FreeBDS lists/forums etc.  Out of the 100's that there are,
> which one is recomended?  I've been on one or two recently, finding them
> somewhat "unfriendly to newbies".

The comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc is a good catchall for newbie questions.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1